Tumeric Hot Chocolate Recipe
Having a steaming up of hot chocolate is an excellent choice for a drink in a cold night, but it is also a rather unhealthy dose of sugar to drink regularly. Tumeric, however, is a wonderful ingredient with lots of health properties. Another bonus is that is tastes wonderful and is an excellent addition to hot chocolate and one everyone should try.
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp honey
- 1½ tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp coconut oil
1. Place a large saucepan over medium heat on the stove. Pour the cup of milk into the saucepan and let it simmer.
2. Then add the coconut oil, tumeric, and cocoa powder into the mixture gradually. Use a whisk to mix the ingredients together until the mixture is smooth. Once completed, bring the mixture to a soft boil, stirring occasionally. Let boil for about five minutes.
3. Once the mixture has cooked for a bit, turn off the heat but leave the saucepan on the stove. Then add the black pepper and the cayenne pepper to the mixture. Stir the mixture until the new ingredients are fully incorporated. The black pepper helps absorb the tumeric in the mixture so the flavor is more prominent.
4. Lastly, add the honey to the mixture. It’s important that the mixture have cooled down before adding the honey or it will begin to dissolve in the heat. The tumeric hot chocolate is now complete and ready to be served. Carefully pour it into a mug to drink but make sure it is not too hot.
Tumeric is also a good ingredient to put in hot tea or even in coffee. This recipe also allows for substitutions, so you can use sugar to agave nectar, as long as you keep the coconut oil and black pepper to help the tumeric work.