Here is the recipe to make a delicious skillet veggie cake:
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, super soft/lightly melted
- ½ cup tightly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 ½ cups shredded peeled veggies
(You can use any veggies here – parsnips, butternut squash, beets, carrots, zucchini, etc. If it’s wet, wring out the water before adding to the mixture.)
1. Heat the oven to 350°F.
2. Combine the butter and sugars in a large bowl. Add the eggs and whisk until incorporated. Add oil and whisk again.
3. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt and, with a spatula, mix just until your batter comes together. Fold the shredded veggies in and mix to combine.
4. Grease a skillet and spread the cake batter into an even layer. Bake the cake for 25 to 30 minutes. The cake will rise and puff, doubling in size, but will remain slightly buttery and dense.
5. At 25 minutes, gently poke the edge of the cake with your finger: the cake should bounce back slightly and the center should no longer be jiggly. Leave the cake in the oven for an extra 3 to 5 minutes if it doesn’t pass these tests.
Cool on a wire rack or, in a pinch, in the fridge or freezer before frosting or the frosting will not stay on the cake. The cooled cake can be stored in the fridge, wrapped in plastic wrap, for up to 5 days.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened in the microwave
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
Combine the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix on high for 1 minute.
Add the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, and salt and paddle on low to combine, then whip up a fury on high for 2 minutes, or until the frosting is a pale white and incredibly fluffy.
Blaze your own trail if you’re feeling in the mood, add some coconut milk, some graham cracker crumbs, some carrot juice, some pecan butter.