The countdown has begun as Halloween will here in just five days! A time when spirits roam and things go bump in the night. It also heralds in the time of year that the tradition of pumpkin carving shifts into full swing.
Admittedly, when the time comes to find the perfect pumpkin, many of us are stumped. But, that is all going to change as we show you some helpful tips on how to pick the ideal carving pumpkin!
When it comes to picking a pumpkin that is intended for carving, there are a few tips to keep in mind when choosing your pumpkin that will make your holiday all that more festive.
- First, you need to make sure that the pumpkin you pick is deep orange in color. This will indicate that it is fully ripened and will have thicker walls, making it great for carving.
- Rap your knuckles on the pumpkin a couple and times, and if it sounds hollow, this indicates it is ripe as well.
- Turn the pumpkin over and take a look at the bottom of it. The base should be flat so that it won’t roll over, and if it is soft and mushy, put it back and keep on a lookin!
- Check the stem at the top of the pumpkin. Make sure that it is firm and still securely attached to the pumpkin.
- Never, ever, pick a pumpkin up by its stem! It may lead to the stem breaking, which in turn will lead to the pumpkin decaying all that much faster.
- Avoid pumpkins that appear to be bruised in any manner.
- If you are going to use the pumpkin for carving, look to see if there is a flat, smooth area on the surface of the pumpkin. This will make the task of carving all that less arduous.
So, as you can see picking out the perfect carving pumpkin isn’t really that hard. So go out, gather up a few pumpkins, and schedule a family fun night of carving. You’ll not only have fun, but you will also be making memories that will endure for generations.