Attention Oreo lovers! Now, you can make a delicious Oreo cake out of the beloved Oreo cookies. Here are the ingredients you will need to make this cake.
- 2 cups (260g) flour
- 2 cups (414g) sugar
- 3/4 cup (85g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder OR Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk
- 1 cup (240ml) vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240ml) boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups (336g) butter
- 1 1/2 cups (284g) shortening
- 9 cups (1035g) powdered sugar
- 3 cups (414g) Oreo crumbs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 7 tbsp (105ml) water
- 6 oz (169g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Oreos, optional
Here are the directions that you will need to follow in order to complete this cake.
1. Prepare three 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper circles in the bottom, and grease the sides.
2. Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together.
3. Add eggs, buttermilk, and vegetable oil to the dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Add vanilla to boiling water and add to the mixture, mixing until fully combined.
5. Divide batter between three cake pans and bake at 300 degrees for about 30-33 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs.
6. Remove cakes from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then remove to cooling racks to cool completely.
7. Make the icing while the cakes cool. Beat together butter and shortening until smooth.
8. Slowly add 4 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
9. Add vanilla and Oreo crumbs and mix until smooth.
10. Add another 4-5 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add water or milk until you get a smooth consistency.
11. Set aside about 3 1/2 cups of icing for the filling inside the cake and add chopped Oreos, if using.
12. Once cakes are cool, remove cake domes from the top with a large serrated knife.
13. Place the first layer of cake on the cake plate. Spread 1/2 of the icing with the chopped Oreos on top in an even layer.
14. Add the second layer of cake and add the rest of the icing with chopped Oreos on top in an even layer.
15. Add final layer of cake on top and frost the outside of the cake with the remaining frosting. Put the cake in the fridge to firm up.
16. To make the chocolate ganache, add the chocolate chips to a medium-sized bowl.
17. Heat the heavy whipping cream just until it begins to boil, then pour it over the chocolate chips. Allow it to cool for about three minutes, then whisk until smooth.
18. Drizzle the chocolate ganache around the edge of the cake, then pour the remainder of the ganache on top of the cake and spread evenly.
19. Let the cake cool in the fridge again, then pipe the remainder of the frosting around the top edge of the cake and add an Oreo between each swirl.
20. Sprinkle a few Oreo crumbs onto the cake, then serve.