Neapolitan Holiday Cookie Recipe
- 8 ounces almond paste
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups flour
- 20 drops red food coloring
- 12 drops green food coloring
- 6 ounces dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare three baking sheets and line then completely with parchment paper. Then coat the baking sheets with a thin layer of cooking spray so nothing sticks to them.
2. Break up the almond paste and place it in a stand mixer. Then add the butter and the sugar to the mixer and play on a fast setting for about seven minutes, until the consistency is creamy.
3. Add the egg yolks and reduce the speed to medium, and allow the mixture to combine. Then slowly add the flour and mix everything together. Pour the mixture into a different bowl and clean out the stand mixer to re-use it.
4. In a new bowl, add the egg whites and beat them together on a high setting for several minutes. The mix is ready when stiff peaks form. Then add the egg whites into the other mixture and combine all the ingredients together until everything is really blended.
5. Divide the batter evenly among three different bowls. In one bowl, add the red food coloring and mix together until the batter is completely red. In a second bowl, add green food coloring and completely blend it together.
6. Then add each of the batters to a prepared baking sheet, and spread the batter out to completely cover the sheet in an even layer. Then bake each sheet for about 14 minutes, or until the edges of the sheet are golden brown.
7. Take the sheets out and allow them to cool. Then you can prepare the Neopolitan cookies. Place the green sheet layer on the counter and then spread the raspberry jam on top. Next, lay the non-dyed sheet on top and spread the apricot jam over it. Finally, lay the red colored sheet on the top. Place them in the refrigerator to cool for 1 hour.
8. Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave for about 45 seconds and then pour it evenly over prepared cookies. Then you can use a serrated knife to cut the sheets into even squares and expose the layers.