Here are the ingredients that you need to compile to complete this recipe:
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt , plus a pinch
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper , plus a pinch
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 1 egg, beaten
Here are the instructions that you need to follow to complete this recipe:
- First, you need to heat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut stem off eggplant and cut in half lengthwise. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Place cut side up on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven to cool.
- Reduce oven to 350°F (177 degrees C).
- When the eggplant is cool enough to handle, scoop the eggplant out of all of the shells, taking care not to damage the skin. Cut them into cubes. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and garlic and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggplant to the pan and cook 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, oregano, basil, a pinch of salt, pepper and egg.
- Stir in the eggplant/onion mixture.
- Spoon eggplant mixture into eggplant shells.
- Transfer to lightly buttered baking dish.
- Now, you need to bake the dish for 40 minutes in a 350° oven.
Use a baking dish that will comfortably hold both halves of the eggplant without overcrowding. Reheat any leftovers in the microwave or in a 350 degree F oven until heated through. You might like to add a little cheese to the top of the eggplant before warming. Consider adding in a handful of spinach and a small chopped tomatoes for added flavor.