Cream Cheese Shortbread Cookies Ingredients
- 3/4 cup (3/4 of an 8 oz. block) full fat cream cheese, room temperature (170g)
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) salted butter, room temperature (170g)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (4g)
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour (215g)
- 1/3 cup rainbow sprinkles – optional (60g)
Source: baby savers.com
- Mix together 3/4 cup of cream cheese and 3/4 cup butter on a medium-high speed until fully combined.
- Add in 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Mix on a medium-high speed for 1-2 minutes until the mixture becomes lighter in color.
- Slowly mix in 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour on a low speed, scraping the sides of the bowl as need. The cookie dough should be thick and a bit sticky.
- Wrap the cookie dough in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours or overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F / 175 C and take your cookie dough out of the fridge.
- Cut the block of cookie dough into 16 equal sized pieces.
- Toss each block of cookie dough in a small bowl filled with 1/2 cup of granulated sugar until lightly coated, then use the flat bottom of a glass to flatten each cookie to be about 1/3 inch thick. If your glass is sticking to your cookies as you flatten them, dunk the bottom of the glass in the bowl of granulated sugar.
- If desired, sprinkle 1-2 tsp of sprinkles on top of each flattened cookie and gently press them into the cookie using the bottom of the same glass.
- Bake for 15-16 minutes, or until the edges just start to brown. Keep an eye on these cookies, they brown quickly and you don’t want to overbake them.
- Let the cookies cool on the pan for 10 minutes, then move them to a wire rack to cool fully. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature or for up to a week in the fridge.