Here are the ingredients to use to make these authentic Belgian waffles!
- 1/2 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2 & 1/4 teaspoons white sugar
- 1/4 cup & 2 tablespoons lukewarm milk
- 1 & 1/2 eggs (1.5 eggs)
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 & 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup pearl sugar
- 1 Waffle Maker
Here are the directions to follow to create these Belgian waffles.
1. First, gather all of your ingredients together and make sure you have a big, clean workspace. Now, sprinkle all of the yeast and white sugar over warm milk in a small bowl. The milk should be no more than 100 degrees F (40 degrees C). Allow it to cool if it is hotter, or it will mess up the recipe. Let this mixture stand for about 15 minutes or until the yeast softens and begins to form a creamy foam.
2. Whisk the eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract into the yeast mixture until evenly blended; set aside. Stir together the flour and salt in a separate large bowl, and make a well in the center.
3. Pour the egg mixture into the well, then stir in the flour mixture until a soft dough forms.
4. Cover with a light cloth and let rise in a warm place (80 to 95 degrees F (27 to 35 degrees C)) until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes. Gently mix in the pearl sugar.
5. Preheat a waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Waffle irons vary so you want to use your waffle iron to the best of its ability.
6. Place a baseball-size ball of dough on the preheated waffle iron. Cook waffles until golden and crisp, about 2 minutes. Repeat with the remaining dough until you have run out. Allow all of the waffles to cool for 2 to 3 minutes before serving. Then topping with your favorite toppings like whipped cream or fruit (or eat them plain if you want) and enjoy!
7. Save any leftovers and place them in an airtight container in the fridge.