Sandwich Cookies with Strawberry Jam Recipe
Nothing says Fourth of July fun like red, white or blue food! These sandwich cookies with bright red jam are a great way to indulge in a dessert and celebrate at the same time!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pound strawberries
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons No Sugar Needed Pectin
- Divide the strawberries in half, and then place half of them in a bowl, and mash them together. In a saucepan, add the mashed strawberries and the remaining strawberries together with the vinegar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and about 1/3 a cup of water.
- Whisk those ingredients together until they are well mixed, smoothing out the top of the mixture as much as possible. Then add the pectin evenly over the top of the mixture in the saucepan.
- Boil the mixture over a high heat, and then add the sugar to the mixture. Boil the mixture until the sugar has dissolved, or around 1 minute. Remove the mixture from the heat and let it cool. The jam should be refrigerated for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.
4. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
5. In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients like the flour, baking soda and baking powder. In a large mixing bowl, use the paddle attachment to whisk together the butter and sugar at a medium speed or around three minutes.
6. Next, beat the eggs individually into the wet mixture in the mixing bowl. Make sure the eggs are thoroughly mixed. Then add the dry ingredients from the large bowl in batches, which will allow the mixture to blend together and bake easier.
6. Scoop dollops of the wet mixture from the bowl onto the parchment paper of the baking sheet, leaving at least two to three inches in between them. Then bake the cookies for about twelve to fourteen minutes, or until golden brown.
7. Allow the cookies to cool for ten minutes after baking, before removing them from the baking sheet and allowing them to cool on a wire rack.
8. Add a cookie to a plate, then scoop some strawberry jam onto the center of the cookie, and then top the jam with another cookie. Serve immediately.